Friday, August 17, 2012

my next move...


Hello friends and family! As many of you know, I’ve decided to move to Israel for a year. Why did I decide this and what will I be doing? First, I came to this decision after hours of contemplating if I should leave a job I love in order to pursue something I’ve always wanted to do. I absolutely love my job, but I’m not particularly attached to living in Minnesota. Since I was little, I can remember wanting to live in Israel. Throughout my adult life, I’ve consistently tried to make it happen but something always fell through. I finally decided that the older I get, the harder it will be for me to pick up and move to another country for a year. As the wise Rabbi Hillel said, “If not now, then when?” and who am I to ignore sagely wisdom like that? So, that led me on a quest for the perfect way to spend a year in a place that I love.
After several programs that were almost-right, the perfect program actually found me! After applying to the Pardes Year Course, they took one look at my resume and saw I was a Jewish Education junkie and contacted me, saying I should apply to this special program. It is an offshoot of their Educator’s Program (which gets you a Masters at the end of two years), but since I already have my Masters in Teaching, this is a program where I can fill in the gaps in my knowledge in Tanakh, Talmud, (for all my non-Jewish friends, this is Jewish texts - our bible, commentaries, laws, etc) and take a few classes with the Educator’s Program cohort. This is the perfect next step to help me realize my goal of becoming a day school teacher. 
I’ll start August 5 with a three-week intensive Hebrew class, and then my Pardes classes will begin September 2. All in all, I am a huge mixture of emotions right now. Most of all I’m excited, but I am also nervous (especially for how I will get all my clothes for a year in two suitcases weighing less than 50lbs each!!), thankful (most especially to my parents and grandparents who are so incredibly supportive), and bittersweet. As I said, I love my job and the kids I work with, and it will be really hard to leave my friends and family in America for a full year. However, this is an incredible opportunity and I can’t wait to see what this next adventure has in store for me. I’ll try to post every other week or so to keep y’all up to date with my adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment